Sweet Potato Nachos (low-FODMAP)
Often Saturday night is nacho night in our house. This version can easily be made into a low-FODMAP recipe that can work in your specific IBS diet.
And while sometimes we just go for the real thing with corn chips and all the toppings, this sweet potato version is a great alternative!
With a sweet potato base and lots of veggies mixed into the minced meat topping, you can enjoy a comfort food with a good extra serving of veggies.
The best part is, that the toppings are extremely customizable. Can’t do onion? Leave it out and up the green onion as garnish. Or swap it for the green part of a leek.
Have a bunch of leftovers in the fridge? Throw them on!
Or maybe sweet potato is tricky? Do ⅓ sweet potato and ⅔ regular potato.
Ready to make this tonight?
Sweet Potato Nachos
- 500 g sweet potato*
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 200 g mince meat
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 red onion** diced
- ¼ zucchini diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- green onion green top only for low-FODMAP
- avocado ⅛ is low-FODMAP
- sour cream lactose-free for low-FODMAP
- fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 200C / 390F.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes, and slice into 0.5cm (0.2”) thick rounds using a knife or mandolin.
- Lay sweet potato slices out on a lined baking sheet and bake in oven for 15 minutes until beginning to brown and crisp.
- In a fry pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook until just soft (5-8 minutes).
- Add the minced meat into the frying pan and cook until fully browned, (about 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven. Using the baking sheet from the sweet potatoes, overlap the cooked chips to form your nacho base.
- Scatter meat and vegetable mixture across the sweet potato base. Top with diced tomatoes and shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake until cheese ismelted and beginning to turn golden;around 10 minutes.
- Top with any of the optional garnishes, and enjoy!
Are you struggling to get more veggies into your diet?
Sign-up for the FREE 5×5 veggie challenge and learn how easy it can really be! This 5-day challenge will help you tackle some of the major obstacles holding you back from finally getting started on your healthy living journey.